SO MANY FUN THINGS TO DO FOR SENIORS.....
Seniors are staying active and living vibrant lifestyles now more than ever. West suburban Chicago is home to countless programs, facilities, shopping areas, dining destinations and more, making it easy and enjoyable for seniors of all ages and abilities to get out there and live life to its fullest. From painting classes and shopping excursions, to group outings and fitness programs– here’s our list of 7 Spectacular Suburban Invites for Seniors.
1. SILVER SNEAKERS | Western Suburbs
SilverSneakers is a free fitness program for seniors that’s helping millions of people on Medicare defy the odds, shatter stereotypes and answer every challenge with, “I can do this!” SilverSneakers includes unlimited access to every participating gym and fitness center in the network. That’s a gym membership at more than 14,000 locations with unrestricted access to EVERY location. Weights, treadmills, pools and other amenities are included. We also offer fitness classes for all abilities led by their certified instructors at gyms and other locations. The gyms are yours. The amenities are yours. The classes are yours. Now go get ’em! For participating locations and eligibility info visit www.silversneakers.com
2. SENIOR CITIZEN CENTER | Geneva
Approximately 6,000 square feet devoted exclusively to all senior citizens and senior groups in the tri-cities. The space includes a Senior Social Hall, a separate space for individual activities as well as one for group activities. To learn more visit www.genevatownship.com/seniorservices.shtml
3. TAI CHI FOR SENIORS Naperville Tai Chi is a traditional Chinese health art. The focus of all Senior level classes is on improving balance and maintaining mobility and agility. This is done through mind-body awareness exercises of the Neigongs and Chi Gongs, the balance building footwork drills and the graceful, slow and round movements of the Circles and the. All new students begin with Level 1. www.napervilleparks.org/seniors
4. CHICAGO FLOWER & GARDEN SHOW Outing with The Naperville Park District • March 15 Enjoy all the colors, fragrances and beauty of thousands of flowers, trees and shrubs as well as landscaped yards, ponds, tropical settings and unique floral arrangements that are sure to inspire practical ideas for your home. You'll have approximately 4 1/2 hours of free time at Navy Pier where you can attend the flower show, have lunch (your expense), do some shopping or simply sit and enjoy the view of Lake Michigan and the beautiful Chicago skyline. Price includes transportation and ticket to flower show. www.napervilleparks.org/seniors
5. GLEN ELLYN SENIOR CENTER | Glen Ellyn The Glen Ellyn Senior Center is supported by the Village of Glen Ellyn and provides many different services to Glen Ellyn Seniors 60 years of age and older, as well as to their families. Senior Center services include a monthly newsletter, a flu shot clinic and transportation services including Ride DuPage and reduced fare cards for RTA and more. www.glenellyn.org/Senior_Center/SeniorHome.html
6. SENIOR CENTER | Lisle The Lisle Park District provides a wide variety of exciting social programming, trips and events for adults 50+ that are published in a bi-monthly newsletter entitled "The Prime Times." There is a wide variety of programs and services designed for adults 50+ who are looking for fun social activities including poker, bingo and more. Subscribe today! For more information about the Senior Center, please call (630) 969-0992. www.lisleparkdistrict.org/seniorcenter.html
7. ELDERDAY CENTER | Batavia For over 25 years, Elderday Center has been providing day services for adults age 55 and better. Our team carefully researches and plans our services to better meet the needs of those who attend. Each activity has a therapeutic reason behind it and the simplest task can work on memory, cognition, fine or gross motor skills, alleviate depression or anxiety and improve self-worth.
Watch for a new, uniquely themed 7 Spectacular List inside each issue of Glancer Magazine.