ENJOY SOME FALL FUN WITH APPLES
Originating in the Tien Shan mountains of Kazakhstan millions of years ago, the apple is a favorite crisp, autumn treat for many. Not only are they fun to eat during the fall season, but they are healthy, too. As the saying goes “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” and here’s why: Apples are low in calories and free of fat, sodium and cholesterol. They are rich in fiber, disease-fighting anti-oxidants and a variety of vitamins and minerals. So, what better treat to enjoy than apples? Here’s a list of 7 spectacular apple-inspired things to do in the area this Fall. Enjoy!
1. HEIRLOOM APPLE FEST | St. Charles SPEND THE DAY CELEBRATING APPLES Durant House Museum in LeRoy Oakes Forest Preserve is hosting its annual “Heirloom Apple Fest” on Sunday, October 1. All ages are welcome at this event, which will allow your family to enjoy apples not seen in the grocery store. The event is from 1-4pm. Donations are $3 for adults and $1 for kids. For more info, visit ppfv.org or call (630) 377-6424.
2. TAKE HOME AN APPLE TREAT | Aurora YEP, HARNER’S BAKERY IS LOVED! We all have an apple favorite, but be prepared to have many once you visit Harner’s. From a wide sleection of pies including Apple, Old Fashioned Apple and Dutch Apple, to the Apple Coffeecake, Apple Sweet Rolls, Apple Cider Donuts and Apple Turnovers– it won’t be easy to choose just one apple treat. Enjoy! Located in Aurora. www.harnersbakery.com
3. TAKE AN APPLE HARVEST CLASS | Naperville LEARN FROM THE BEST AT SIR LA TABLE ON OCTOBER 26 In this special, hands-on class, everyone’s favorite autumn fruit is being celebrated. The instructor will walk you through techniques for everything as you cook with apples– from perfectly searing chicken to creating a fabulous fall-inspired salad. You’ll work with classmates, honing knife skills and learning to create an incredible chutney from scratch. Plus, you’ll be shown how to make deliciously simple homemade caramel for the best apple tart you’ve ever tasted. October 26.Reserve by phone, at (800) 243-0852.
4. LEARN A NEW RECIPE | Glen Ellyn MARCEL’S HAS SOME TASTY RECIPES Did you know that local kitchen boutique Marcel’s Culinary Experience offers countless recipes online? It’s true! We invite you to try Pecorino Romano with Apples and Fig Jam by Kelly Sears. www.marcelsculinaryexperience.com/pecorino-romano-with-apples-and-fig-jam/
5. TRY A SCRUMPTIOUS TURKEY, APPLE & GOUDA SANDWICH | Glen Ellyn DINE IN AT BLACKBERRY MARKET So many west suburban residents love it here and we know why! All of the food is hand prepared daily in-house & they select the freshest ingredients. For something new, try the Turkey, Apple, & Gouda sandwich made with cranberry chutney. Yum! Blackberry Market, 401 N. Main St., Glen Ellyn, www.blackberry.is/yum/
6. APPLE PICKING FUN | Waterman PLAN A DAY & HEAD TO HONEY HILL ORCHARD This family-owned and operated orchard was started as a hobby in 1965. Today, the original orchard location has 2,100 apple trees, with an additional 500 trees at a second farm location. What started out as a simple farm stand has grown to include pick your own apples, raspberries and pumpkins, a bakery, the Apple Barn Country Store and family activities. Honey Hill Orchard, 11783 Waterman Rd., Waterman, (815) 264-3337, www.honeyhillorchard.com
7. APPLE_INSPIRED EVERYTHING | Malta FROM FUN ACTIVITIES TO CIDER & WINE, IT’S ALL HERE Celebrate the Harvest Season at Jonamac Orchard. They have lots to do no matter what your family’s schedule is. The all-new Cider House offers tastings on a variety of apple-inspired wines and ciders that are available in the store. The Orchard Blend is our favorite. Enjoy! www.jonamacorchard.com