top of page
We Love Local_728x90.jpg

FAMILY IN NEED | Pets Lost In a Local House Fire, Home Destroyed – Community Rallies To Help


On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, a fire started on the 22W500 block of Sycamore Drive in unincorporated Glen Ellyn.

Fire crew got to the scene just before eight o'clock in the evening where they found smoke coming from the first-floor windows and roof of the home.

The home belonged to the DeMeo family who had taken their three boys (Louie and twins, Nick and Joe) out to celebrate Nick and Joe’s birthday.

Thankfully, the family is safe, but firefighters unfortunately were not able to save the family’s pets- Rocky (Cat) and Rosie (1 year old puppy) from the blaze.

Later, sources revealed that the cause of the fire was due to a faulty surge protector in the basement of the family's home.

The only thing that survived the house fire out of the family's possessions was a fully intact White Sox painting that belongs to Kim’s husband, Lou, a lifelong White Sox fan.

Within the days and weeks following this tragedy, the community has really rallied around the DeMeo family by collecting both charitable donations (food, clothing, etc.), as well as monetary donations through GoFundMe pages that were set up for the family. These efforts will help the DeMeo family rebuild with lots of love and support from friends, family, and the community as they have so freely given to others themselves.

Despite having been through so much already, the DeMeo family remains positive and giving, embracing life for all it has to offer.

Latest Issue
February 2024


Glance through the Pages

of Your Community Living Magazine Today! 

► February 2024 Issue, Western Suburbs

► DuPage Feature

► Kane Features

► Kendall Features