NEWSWORTHY AND SUPER SPECTACULAR
2018 was an active year for Kane County communities. From celebrity events and epic concerts for a cause, to community expansion and grand opening announcements– month after month new headlines featured pop-culture excitement and local progress happening throughout the western suburbs. Glancer Magazine was there to capture it all and we invite you to stay connected in 2019 as we continue to captivate the community with more great local features. Here are 7 Spectacular Places that Made 2018 Headlines:
1. Cal’s Angels Was in the News All Year Long ST. CHARLES–Ca’s Angels’ annual Gala is held in February every year by the non-profit organization and raises funds to benefit children fighting cancer within the Chicagoland area. The 2018 event raised over 800K and attracted over 900 attendees. The 2019 Gala is slated for February 23, 2019. Cal’s also kicked off the Cal’s Concert Series with Goo Goo Dolls and Gavin Degraw. This open-air musical event was held on the pristine, expansive lawn of Arranmore Farm + Polo Club in Oswego on July 14, 2018. Stay connected for future concert updates by following Cal's Angels in social media. www.calsangels.org
2. Golf. Give. Gala at Hotel Baker: Michael Phelps & Jason Day Golf Fundraiser ST. CHARLES–Michael Phelps, world’s most decorated Olympian, and Jason Day, one of the world’s top golfers joined forces again in historic Saint Charles to host the 2nd Annual Golf.Give.Gala, presented by ALE Solutions. The event included a star-studded Gala and Auction will at historic Hotel Baker, with a Concert to follow at the Arcada Theatre. Net proceeds from the event were used to benefit the Michael Phelps Foundation and Jason and Ellie Day’s Brighter Days Foundation as well as support several local causes. www.golfgivegala.com
3. Kaneland ABC Flyover at High School
MAPLE PARK – Kaneland School District #302 was featured on ABC-7 Chicago as one of their seven "Friday Flyovers”. Students were able to show their school spirit before the weekend's big high school football match-up.
4. Tollway Interchange Announced For Sugar Grove SUGAR GROVE– The Illinois Tollway Board of Directors approved a multi-party intergovernmental agreement with the Village of Sugar Grove, Kane County and the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) authorizing the financing and construction of the interchange project at Illinois Route 47 on the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88). For more information visit the Illinois Tollway website.
5. Giant Steps 5K Walk for Autism
SUGAR GROVE– Jerry Rich of Rich Harvest Farms hosted the Giant Steps 5K Walk for Autism followed by the Christine's Dream Stable Open House. The 5K raised over $126,115! Mark your calendar for next year's 5K to help support to such a great cause. Next year’s walk will take place on October 5, 2019. For more info visit www.richharvestfarms.com.
6. Donnie Wahlberg to Bring Wahlburgers Restaurant to St. Charles ST. CHARLES– Actor and singer Donnie Wahlberg is bringing his family's burger joint to St. Charles. Last summer, the city council unanimously approved plans for constructing the restaurant and bar on the city's west side. "This is a real honor for me and my family," said Wahlberg, who lives in St. Charles with his wife, celebrity Jenny McCarthy, and their sons. Wahlburgers will be one of three new retail buildings on a three-acre Meijer outlot at Route 38 and Randall Road. Source: 93.9FM
7. HBO's 'Lovecraft Country' Filming in Downtown Elburn ELBURN–Elburn was chosen as the backdrop for the HBO dramatic horror TV series, ‘Lovecraft Country’ this past summer and fall. The HBO production company transformed the business facades along Route 47 into the Main Street of a circa 1955 town. Filming included the use of the old Reams Meat Market location or use of a diner scene. Photo by Daily-Chronicle.com
Watch for a new, uniquely themed 7 Spectacular List inside each issue of Glancer Magazine.