FOR THE ART LOVER IN ALL OF US
Visting artsy spots throughout the western suburbs can rejuvenate the spirit and inspire the heart. This 7 Spectacular List is sure to stimulate even the most blasé of community goers, offering charming art in the park, unbelievable wall murals, a theatre decor like no other, and more. Each spot inviting your creative side to come out and play, while inspiring you to someday make your own artistic statement.
1. Unique Murals On Water Street | BATAVIA The murals located along Water Street, were installed as part of a community project. "We Are Batavia" (pictured) depicts 21 different people that represent the city—students, emergency responders and people from various occupations. In the center of mural is a shadowed outline with the words "You Stand Here!" painted in the middle. Claire Sychta created the mural when she was a sophomore. Visit today to see more beautiful works of outdoor art throughout the community.
2. Origami In the Garden | LISLE Visitors will be awed by 25 displays of metal sculptures based on the traditional Japanese art of paper folding as they walk paths through the Arboretum’s spectacular landscape. Created by Santa Fe-based artists Kevin and Jennifer Box, the Origami in the Garden exhibit features installations, gallery works, and the Box's own compositions, as well as collaborative works with some of the world’s top origami artists. Daily, July through October 22, 7 a.m.-sunset. Free with Arboretum admission. Held at The Morton Arboretum, Lisle. www.mortonarb.org
3. Sculpture In the Park | ST. CHARLES
A must-see experience! As summer continues to blossom in the Fox Valley, the landscape of Mt. St. Mary Park in St. Charles presents a striking and engaging sculpture exhibition against the backdrop of nature's seasonal beauty. People of all ages are welcome to enjoy this magnificent free exhibit of original and unique sculpture. Mt. St. Mary Park is located along the west bank of the beautiful Fox River in downtown St. Charles at Route 31 & Prairie Street. A joint project of the St. Charles Park District and the St. Charles Park Foundation to raise awareness of the sculptural arts and the beautiful parks in downtown St. Charles. Sculptures are available for purchase. For more information, call (630) 513-4316.
4. Geneva Arts Fair | GENEVA Help July 22-23 in Downtown Geneva. Express your originality with the artwork you discover at Geneva’s nationally-acclaimed outdoor gallery of juried art. More than 140 artists will show their work – from drawing, painting and sculpture to ceramics, glass, textiles and jewelry. All art is available for sale. Come for the day or stay for the weekend. www.genevachamber.com
5. Art Exhibits at North Central College | NAPERVILLE
North Central College galleries show a range of artwork and exhibitions from student work to community artists who have earned accolades to internationally renowned artists who have been honing their craft for years. Their galleries serve to educate and enrich their students, the Naperville community and beyond. Most exhibits are free and open to the public. Upcoming exhibits include showcasing selected two and three-dimensional art pieces in a variety of media from more than 30 local artists who belong to the Naperville Art League, a unique exhibit by Sally Ko and more. www.finearts.northcentralcollege.edu/
6. Historical Paramount Theatre | AURORA Named one of the Top Ten Theatres in Chicago by the League of Chicago Theatres, the Paramount continues to provide world-class entertainment for an annual audience of over 300,000 patrons from over 250 communities. The Paramount Theatre continues to expand its artistic and institutional boundaries under the guidance of President & CEO Tim Rater, Artistic Director Jim Corti, a dedicated Board of Trustees and a devoted staff of live theater and music professionals. Tours of the historic Paramount Theatre are available. Reservations required. Please call (630) 896-6666. $5 per person. Proceeds go to the Paramount Historic Fund.
7. Acquaviva Winery | MAPLE PARK Along with the award-winning wines and delicious pairing cuisine, the Acquaviva winery boasts amazing architecture and hand-painted fine art by world renowned artist Andrew Zabela. The family-owned 40-acre estate vineyard and full service winery is located at the corner of Route 38 and Meredith Road in Maple Park, Illinois.