DOOR COUNTY– A BEAUTIFUL PLACE Door County, Wisconsin is the perfect place to relax and refresh after a long winter, breathe in the spring air and enjoy spectacular sunsets along the peninsula’s western coast.
“The Door” is open for your enjoyment, and there’s plenty to experience– from rich maritime history and wildflower hikes, to small town shopping and wine tours.
Here are just a few of the many things to do that will leave mom clicking her heels after a weekend getaway to this Wisconsin gem:
• Cherry blossom season, May 19-22 – Central to life in Door County since the late 1800s, sweet scents fill the more than 2,500 acres of cherry orchards where by mid-summer, delicate blossoms will grow into the Door County cherries that make the area famous.
• Narrated scenic tour aboard the Door County Trolley – See breathtaking vistas from Peninsula State Park’s scenic bluffs overlooking the islands and learn local legend and lore along the way.
• Sip your way through along the Door Peninsula – Sample locally made hard cider, wine and spirits with stops at Island Orchard Cider, Stones Throw Winery and Door County Distillery.
• An authentic Door County Fish Boil – Freshly caught Lake Michigan whitefish is cooked outside over an open fire, just as it was 100 years ago by the Scandinavian settlers of the Peninsula.
• Guided wildflower hike at Ridges Sanctuary – Native wildflowers abound along 5 miles of rustic trails and bridges at the Ridges Sanctuary.
• Create your own art at Hands On Art Studio – This do-it-yourself Door County destination offers a freewheeling walk-in art experience designed for adults and children to create and play! Choose from projects ranging from fused glass and mosaics to jewelry design and welding.
Just 4 hours from west suburban Chicago, it makes for the perfect weekend getaway. You and yours will love making memories with a trip to Door County. www.doorcounty.com